Free Resources to Help Pollinators
This list was put together by Harpswell resident Jaremy Parks Lynch. His contact information is at the end.
Monarch Butterflies are in trouble currently along with other pollinators such as bees and other butterflies. It is a critical time right now. I have put together a few free resources of current campaign programs I have found of ways you can help them. Even if you have limited space and can only have some plant pots or other containers with these seeds, all efforts help them.
Free Resources To Help Pollinators
- I will have Common Milkweed seeds available this fall from my own patches of Common Milkweed plants that I have established in my field in Harpswell, Maine for Monarch Butterflies. Other butterflies, bees, and other pollinators enjoy nectar from its flowers. However, its main importance is a source of food for Monarch caterpillars. They will only eat milkweed and female Monarch Butterflies will only lay their eggs on milkweed plants for this purpose! There is a shortage of milkweed primarily due to pesticides used in conjunction with GMO crops. We all must try to plant some milkweed to help them! Also, always plant milkweed that is native to your area! Common milkweed is native to the Northeast and many other parts of the country.
- National Wildlife Federation and Subaru are partnering in a program called Butterfly Heroes. Click here or go to nwf.org and click on Butterfly Heroes. Follow the instructions and take the pledge. National Wildlife Federation will send you a free butterfly garden starter kit. (** You must pledge by June 1, 2016)
- SaveOurMonarchs.org They will send you free milkweed seed packets when you send them a self-addressed stamped envelope. See website for address and details. (Don’t buy anything from them past these free seeds because they are not reliable and I have had major troubles in the past.)
- SaveOurPollinators.org They will send you free pollinator seed packets when you send them a self-addressed stamped envelope. See website for address and details. (They are associated with SaveOurMonarchs so I would advise not to buy anything from here past the free seeds.)
- LiveMonarch.com They will also send free seeds if you send them a self addressed stamped envelope. See website for address and details. Good service here if you wish to purchase anything further.
- FeedABee.com They will send a free seed packet for a bee and pollinator garden. See website for details ( *While supplies last so get yours soon!)
- Burpee Seed Company. They will send you a free Pollinator Garden Seed Packet with any order. (*Expires May 31, 2016 so act quickly!)
- Burt’s Bees Bring Back The Bees campaign (See website for details). You can help with a purchase of a limited edition lip balm for this campaign and Burt’s Bees will pledge to plant 1,000 wildflower seeds with each purchase. Get a free pollinator seed bomb also with every purchase or this lip balm. Also Burt’s Bees will pledge 1,000 wildflower seeds for every post on Twitter or Instagram for this campaign.
Jaremy Parks Lynch