Harpswell Community Nature Journaling Initiative 2018
Observe, connect, get inspired
Harpswell Heritage Land Trust is launching a community nature journaling initiative. The goal of this project is to encourage people of all ages to go outside and be nature observers. We hope that with a little bit of inspiration, knowledge and encouragement, community members will enjoy documenting observations in their own nature journals.
We hope that through sharing observations and knowledge, we will build community, learn from each other and make connections to our natural surroundings as well as to eachother. As Harpswell’s local land trust, we want to encourage year-round residents and seasonal visitors to develop a sense of connection to place and an appreciation of their natural surroundings. We can learn a lot more about our wild companions when we regularly take a few minutes to look and listen and witness seasonal rhythms and changes from year to year. This can be easily done in your own backyard!
We encourage observers of all ages and backgrounds to keep nature journals with us. Keeping a nature journal is a great activity for adults and kids. The Community Nature Journaling Initiative will include the following free opportunities. You are welcome to get involved in one aspect of the project, all aspects, or anything in between.
- We will provide frequent guidance and inspiration, including updates on what to look for during each month of the year, and additional resources. Click here to sign up for emails.
- We will offer a Facebook group to provide guidance and share observations, photos and drawings.
- We will hold a series of events to help you learn about nature in Harpswell. These events will be led by knowledgeable leaders on a variety of topics. Click here for our events calendar. The best way to stay up to date on our events is to sign up for our email newsletters. Click here to sign up.
- We will run workshops for you to make your own nature journal. Using pre-printed paper, decorative covers and thread, you will have the opportunity to assemble, bind and decorate your own nature journal. This activity will be offered for people of all ages.
- We will come together at the end of a year of journaling to share our experiences.