Employment and Internship Opportunities
We are currently hiring for the following opportunities:
Nature Day Camp Leader
About Harpswell Heritage Land Trust and Nature Day Camp
Harpswell Heritage Land Trust’s mission is to preserve and protect Harpswell’s natural resources, cultural heritage, and access to the outdoors now and forever through conservation, stewardship, and education.
The focus of Nature Day Camp is hands-on exploration of nature, friendship, discovery, and fun. Camp is held at a different Harpswell location each day. Click here to learn more.
Camp leaders’ responsibilities are as follows:
- Ensure physical and emotional safety of all campers and follow camp safety policies.
- Provide an enriching, engaging and fun camp experience.
- Be kind and patient.
- Participate in training sessions before the camp season begins.
- With co-leader, create a written lesson plan based on the materials and resources provided.
- With co-leader, lead camp activities.
- Supervise volunteers and junior counselors.
- Communicate with co-leaders, parents, and HHLT’s Executive Director about any issues that arise.
- Debrief camp through written notes and meetings.
Dates, hours and compensation
We have one position available for the remaining four weeks of camp. While we prefer hiring for the entire four weeks, we would consider hiring the right candidates for fewer weeks. Compensation and details are listed below.
Assistant Camp Leader, Nature Day Camp for ages 4-6
- Compensation is $2,386 for four weeks of camp.
- Camp runs Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. during these weeks: July 18-22, August 1-5, August 8-12, August 15-19.
- In addition to camp hours, leaders are expected to spend additional time on training, planning, cleaning, debrief, set up, and take down.
Successful candidates will effectively demonstrate the following qualifications.
- Experience working with children
- Patience, kindness, and enthusiasm
- Demonstrated attention to safety
- Flexibility and the ability to work well as part of a team
- Satisfactory completion of a background check (paid for by HHLT)
- Adult and pediatric first aid and CPR training by Red Cross or an equivalent provider (paid for by HHLT)
- Experience teaching about nature outdoors
- Current or prior connection to Harpswell or the Maine coast
- Natural history knowledge
How to apply
Please send a resume and cover letter ASAP to Katie Neal at firstname.lastname@example.org. You are welcome to contact us with questions via email or at 207-721-1121.
Harpswell Heritage Land Trust sometimes hosts unpaid interns throughout the year. Please reach out to us with questions at email@example.com.