For a variety of recreational offerings, Mitchell Field can’t be beat. This 120-acre former U.S. Navy fuel depot property was transferred to the Town in 2001 from the Federal Government. It boasts several miles of paved and gravel paths, a sandy beach, a bandstand that hosts outdoor concerts and the Harpswell Community Garden.
It’s a great place for walking, bicycling, swimming, cross-country skiing, picnicking and so much more. On clear days, you can see Mount Washington 80 miles to the west.
The easy outer perimeter gravel road is wide and level, making it a great choice for almost anyone to traverse. There are a few openings that run through the woods, known as the “woods trails” where you can seek relief from the sun with tall old growth trees and grassy trails.
The Harpswell Bandstand by the Sea was constructed in 2012 and then gifted to the Town in 2013 for use by the community. Throughout the summer and fall weekly free concerts are held with many different genres of music. The Bandstand (and Mitchell Field) is available to rent for weddings, family reunions, etc.
The Harpswell Community Garden brings together a community of gardeners, both novice and experienced. The garden offers two sizes of rental plots, a Harpswell heritage orchard, and a children’s play area.
Mitchell Field is owned and managed by the Town of Harpswell. Click here to visit the town webpage describing the property.
Click here to get directions from Google Maps.
Mitchell FIeld is located at 1410 Harpswell Neck Road, Harpswell. From the intersection of Rt 123 and Bath Rd at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, follow Rt 123 south for 11 miles. Look for a sign on the right.
- There are parking areas at the entrance and down by the water. Please use caution and follow the recommended speed limit when driving on marked roads.
- No overnight parking
- Carry in-carry out trash disposal policy
- No fires
- Intoxicating beverages are not allowed
- Do not pick or dig any living thing
- Pets must be under owner’s control
- Pet owners must clean up any fecal deposits left by their pets
- Please report any damage to the Town of Harpswell
- Please respect private landowners property
- All uses of town facilities are at the users’ risk. There are no lifeguards.