Make your own Winter Solstice Lantern
There are many ideas and options for making winter solstice lanterns. Here are a few of our favorites.
Glue and Tissue Paper Lantern
Milk Carton and Papier Mache Lantern
Glass Jar and Tissue Paper Lantern
You’ll get everything you need for these in our winter solstice celebration kit.
- Gather these materials:
- Thick watercolor paper. We like to use 11″x15″ paper, but other sizes would work as well.
- Art supplies to decorate the paper: paints, markers, colored pencils, etc.
- Exacto knife, scissors or pattern punches to create holes to let the light shine through.
- Hole punch (or scissors).
- A short piece of string to use as a handle.
- Measure 3/4” from one of the short sides of the paper. Fold along your marks and make a crease with a ruler.
- Keeping the 3/4” tab folded in, fold the paper in half so the short ends are together. Make a crease.
- Unfold and fold each half in half. Make creases. Now the paper is divided into four equal segments, plus the tab.
- Measure 3.25” from the bottom and make a mark at both ends. Fold along your marks and make a crease.
- Unfold and cut out the edges of the bottom tabs, up to the creased line made in step #5.
- Cut out the small tab (the .75” x 3.25” section).
- Decorate the four large panels of the lantern and cut shapes to let the light shine through.
- Put a line of glue along the small tab, fold into a box and glue the tab to the inside of the lantern. It helps to use a paperclip to hold it together while the glue dries.
- Glue the square bottom flaps to each other to make a bottom for your lantern.
- Punch holes at the top of opposite sides of the lantern and tie a string to make a handle.
- Place a battery-powered tea light or flashlight inside the lantern.